Saturday, July 4, 2009

"I'm a real boy! [or a real person]"

I'm a real boy or a real person... or at least I seems to be on my way.

Adulthood seems to have arrived today.  I cannot hide it.  I am going to be a quarter-of-a-century old.  My friends are talking about weddings and the factors which affect their fertility.  They talk about buying houses on streets without a double yellow line with good school districts for their children.  Everyone (excluding myself) seems to be paired up like Noah's Ark, marching two-by-two ready to get it on to ensure the existence of their species.  Midnight trips to get some queso and a frozen strawberry banana margarita seem to be waning as people begin to think about knitting baby clothes and readying themselves to blog about their children.

Schooling is over.  I am entering the real world.  I thought I was itching and rearing to go, sick of school and accruing debt, but now it really counts and loans have to be repaid.  I will be held accountable for my actions.  I will be subordinate to authority.  I will have lost my choice and autonomy in exchange for a yearly salary and health and dental insurance.  I will think about things like tax write-offs, down-payments, mortgages, and retirement.  It is overwhelming.  It is a boring existence.

Do I not have the right to be sentimental?  Can I not remember the times when we bought late-night doughnuts and worked 'writing' papers (aka I fell asleep on your floor)?  Or late-night outings downtown?  That chapter is over.

Maybe it is exciting that we are transitioning to out next phase of life together.  Perhaps it is the will of world to make us self-conscious about getting older.  Is the will to settle down a biological developmental human need?  

Whatever it is, I am feeling unrest.  Like many things, I will know what this is all about in time.  I guess all I can do is trust in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment