Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The G Stands for...Gleeful

"From the top."

The ASTA conference was a blast. After a year of stress and working on this hour-long presentation, it is finally over. Fortunately, we were well-received in an audience of over 50 people and were really happy with how our session went. One woman told Jessica that she was completely inspired to go home and recapture the big picture. If only for that, it was completely worth it.

We arrive at SFO.



After one day back, I realize how much I needed to have gone to this conference. My students are excited to see me more relaxed and genuinely happier. With some thought, I realized that what I was missing were colleagues who understand me. Not that my circle of friends don't understand, but the emptiness of living in a system of UIL competitions can get to you when your heart is in the music and not in winning sweepstakes. It is all really sickening and perverse when you think about it.

While in Santa Clara and San Francisco, I had enough time (13 episodes-worth in fact) to develop an obsession for Glee. It's not that it is even a great show, but it is addicting.

I wish teaching were as lovely as they make it. Imagine if this were real life. We could all dress up like J Crew ads and say things like, "You need orchestra. When I was in orchestra, it was the only place I really felt like I could express myself. That's why I brought in Mahler 5." [cue exciting Venezuelan Youth Orchestra performance of Mahler 5 alla Gustavo Dudamel] Well, I probably won't be using any of the life lessons in school, but I might want as a rule to buy some more cardigans and unabashedly wear jeans to school every day.






I have many few pictures of people. But I made sure to take pictures of my food. Below is my mango chicken from a nearby Thai restaurant.

Look at the receipt closely.






Don't step on the snails!!!!



Post-ASTA, Connor and I got to spend a day in SF with my childhood friend, Jeff! He was awesome. He took us around to see the sights and enjoy some delicious sushi.




We went to the Goldengate bridge, so that Connor could see it; however, it was raining and I learned that I wore out my right shoe so that it was leaking water. Naturally, we went to the mall.




What type of face am I making? It must be the water in my shoe.


Lombard Street.

Fortunately, our plane was delayed 2 hours, giving us ample time to watch 3 more episodes of Glee, and we arrived in Austin around 12:15 to sit on the runway for another half hour. A little late, but I think it was worth it. Except, I had my formal observation after 3 hours of sleep and without posted lesson plans.



Isn't the mall beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment