Sunday, March 21, 2010

Crazy Stories in Real Life part two

No good deed goes unpunished.

This spring break, I have been blessing myself with good karma. In addition to a half-dozen airport trips, I was taking care of Eric but mostly Sara's dog, Fern, and watering their garden in the mornings.

One morning while whimsically returning from their house, listening to Classical music, and leaving the windows open with dog in tow, I see a magical shell sign off the side of I-35 that has gas on sale for under $2.60. Gas prices have all been high, so I am thinking, "Great! My lucky day!"

As I am pumping my gas, (yes, I do miss Huntington, NY where people pump your gas for you) this woman who looks visibly pregnant and is wearing a t-shirt on a breezy day approaches me. My first instinct is "run and lock your doors," but I am stuck with one hand on the pump.

She asks, "can you help this guy with directions?" Sigh of relief. Point him in the right direction. Karma points. "And can you give me a ride back to my hotel room? It's too cold and I didn't bring a jacket." Crap, can't say no to a pregnant lady.

So, Annie, as she introduced herself, sits in the front seat while I am filling the gas. For my protection, I say she can ride as long as she doesn't mind Fern sitting with her in the front seat. I am thinking, I hope I didn't leave anything there that can identify me, keys, etc. eek

As I am driving way past the highway, Annie and I exchange pleasantries, and she talks about trying to make ends meet with her boyfriend. She then says something about going to the gas station to "get money any way they can." Does that mean she was selling drugs to that guy I gave directions to?

As she is doing this, she begins to yelp in pain. Fern's claws are digging into a sensitive part of her leg. I try to get the dog to sit, but Fern, like me, feels uncomfortable around this weirdo, and I feel awful about subjecting this dog to sitting on this strange woman's lap. This happens for about 5-10 minutes as I continually ask her where to turn and where to go even though she has been clear with her directions multiple times just to fill the awkward moments of silence.

Well, if anything, I got this poor woman to where she needed to go, even though she might have claw marks on her legs for a few days and might not be driving strangers anywhere for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment