Saturday, March 20, 2010

The House Hunting Post You've All Been Waiting For!


I am indeed in the process of purchasing a house. Nothing is more of a motivator than free government money plus the intrinsically motivation connected to consumerism. I mean, what is more fun than shopping? And what is a bigger purchase than a house? (Yeah I know, violins.)

How did this start, one might wonder? For some reason, I entertained the idea of purchasing a house. I would like to think that it was an inner need to create a nest that began this journey, but now that I think of it, it was probably when some dirtbag stole my cheapo Walmart laundry basket from our apartment complex that I became sick with apartment life.

I began searching house listings and Eric suggested that I Check out Ziprealty. Well, one thing led to another, and I received a call at work about looking at houses through this website from my assigned realtor, Chip. I got his message thought about calling him back but did not bother at that point.

I came across the "IT" house. Well, the first one that seemed like it could be the "IT" house. It was on Vara Dr way out East away from the city-ness of Austin. The lot was on a creek, the house was huge! It even had a music studio with soundproofing and a separate entrance! I hit the "Request a Showing" button and saved the house and just like clockwork, Chip called and I went to see that house on the same day.

Naturally, I could not see any houses alone due to my made-up self-diagnosed Social Dependence Disorder, so Priscilla accompanied me on that first trip. We decided that Vara was too far and had too much work that needed to be done for it to be an option, but I was hooked and ready to hunt for more!



The next trip with Hannah brought me to the cozy and vintage-looking Burrell Dr. The "IT" House #2. It was cute, had beautiful wood floors, a nicely remodeled and large kitchen, and a beautiful yard in a nice neighborhood. I had my sights on it, and even visited it a second time on my next with Danielle and Annalise. Unfortunately, the bathrooms were super dated, the square footage was small, the garage/laundry room were separate from the rest of the house, and the price was at the top of my budget.

A week later, I went on with my search with Danielle and Annalise. We saw some houses that did not compare to Burrell.

Our favorite to talk about was a house equipped with its own Saloon with working bar and booth!



Although Danielle was cartwheeling over a beautiful house near the 'ghetto,' I was not sold and still thought the Burrell house was for me. Ready to place an offer, I waited until a Monday to make my move, but it was not to happen, someone else had gotten the house.

Slightly depressed, with some good advice from family and friends, I got back on the horse and went the next weekend with Catharine to check out houses that were newly placed on the market.


P.S. Catharine is a kickass house shopper with professional mystery shopper experience.

That's when it fell into my life.
A cute little house had the vibe, neighborhood, layout, kitchen, bathrooms, and yard. Minus questionable taste on new laminate floors, old windows, and vinyl siding, it was just right, said Goldilocks. I placed an offer that day and was accepted!






This break, I have been stressing out over the contract, loans, inspections, insurance, etc. but if it all pans out, I will be moving in in May!



No comments:

Post a Comment