Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Favorite Things About San Francisco and its people! (Part 4)

#6-Hills!

I love the mountains,
I love the rolling hills,
I love the flowers,
I love the daffodils,
I love the fireside,
When all the lights are low.
Boom-di-a-da, Boom-di-a-da, Boom-di-a-da, Boom-di-a-da.



I love the rolling landscape in the SF Bay area and how the local architecture makes it work. In the city every house has a Victorian similarity, but they all have a way of making theirs look unique (aka paint it a different color).

We did a lot of walking around too. Good for the gluts, just saying.



#7-Spiral Escalators!

So yeah, going to the mall is not an activity unique to SF, but sometimes you just need to do some last minute X-mas shopping. But, have you ever seen a spiral escalator?! As in, the escalator itself moves in a curve? I thought it was unique and pretty sweet. It's the little things in life that keep me happy apparently.









#8-Random Exhibit of Asian Art at the Mall

San Franciscans love art. There are tons of galleries everywhere. Mike, Erika, and I got to see some by the Fisherman's wharf. It was all in good time. The art dealers were able to sense Erika's almighty powers and greatness and basically hit on her the entire time we were there. Apparently to them, it did not seem like I was going to be buying $50k pieces of art that day.





It must seem natural for the natives to showcase their knowledge of fine art by displaying it in the airport as if it were a museum. Unfortunately, it is extremely out of place and right by the security line. They should post a notice on their websites when you book a ticket, "Please allow an extra 45-minutes to admire the artwork." Both times that I passed it, people seemed more concerned with how many articles of clothing they were going to have to shed to get through the metal detector rather than in which century/dynasty a Jade sculpture was created.

I loved it!


#9-Trolleys!

I was being dense apparently, when a good friend was trying to explain how these trolley's were being pulled by a cable. I get it now, finally. There is a cable underneath the ground onto which the trolley latches to propel itself forward. I unlatches to slow down and uses brakes to stop. Their existence just made me happier. It might have been because I kept thinking about Full House the whole time I was in San Francisco. There's something about imagining the Olsen Twins saying "You got it dude" puts every 80's/early 90's child back in sitcom bliss.




P.S. I was trying to sing the Full House theme song for two days and could only come up with the Family Matters one.





No comments:

Post a Comment